Thursday, May 9, 2013

April 15: Scallop and Corn Chowder

This chowder is in the "fresh catch" section of the cookbook. First I gathered all the ingredients:
 
I chopped up the leeks and cooked them in two tablespoons butter. Then I transferred them to the crockpot.
 
In the skillet, I cooked 3/4 pound of bacon, although the recipe calls for pancetta. I forgot to look for pancetta while I was in the store, so bacon it is.
 
I transferred the bacon to the crockpot, then added 5 diced potatoes, 5 1/4 cups fish stock, 2 cups corn, and a tbsp fresh thyme. I cooked it on low for 4 to 6 hours, but you can also cook it on high for 2 to 3 hours. Then I combined 4 tbsp butter and 1/4 cup flour in a sauce pan:
 
I cooked that stirring constantly for 5 minutes, then I stirred in 2 ladles of the broth from the crockpot. When it was thick I returned it to the crockpot:
 
I added 1 pound of scallops and cooked about 10 minutes to cook them through:
 
I stirred in a pint of cream:
 
I served the chowder garnished with pepper and fresh thyme:

This soup was very tasty and DH liked it a lot. I wasn't that fond of the scallops, but only because there were so many. I only used one can of corn, which ends up being not quite two cups. Next time I would but in two cans, because it definitely needed more corn.

No comments:

Post a Comment