Thursday, May 9, 2013

April 22: Pork and Anaheim Stew

This stew is from the "hearty stews and chilies" section of the cookbook. I gathered up the ingredients:

I cut 1 1/2 pounds pork into 1/2-inch pieces and cooked it in two batches over high heat in a skillet:

I transferred the pork to the crockpot, then added 6 sliced Anaheim peppers to the skillet and cooked for 5 minutes, then I added 4 minced cloves of garlic and cooked for 15 seconds:

I transferred that to the crockpot, then added a pound of chopped tomatillos, 2 cups chopped onions, a can of yellow hominy, a can of chicken broth, 2 tsp chili powder, a tsp cumin, a tsp oregano, and 1 1/2 tsp sugar:

I cooked that on high for 5 hours, or you could cook it on low for 10 hours. I stirred in 1 tbsp oil, a tsp liquid smoke, and 1/2 tsp salt:

I served it up in bowls, and my family put sour cream on top, but I liked it better without the sour cream:

This soup was much better than I thought it would be. It was not too spicy and it was not too sour. I bet the sugar cuts down on the acidity of the tomatillos. I've had soup with them before, and it was almost too sour to eat. This one was good and richly flavored. DH liked it too, but the kids didn't like it that much. But that's to be expected.

No comments:

Post a Comment