Thursday, May 9, 2013

May 6: Saffron-Scented Shrimp Paella

I haven't tried this recipe yet. I have been on the 3-day military diet for 1 1/2 weeks (you do 3 days on, 4 days off). I might made some more recipes on my off days, but I plan on sticking to this diet for the month of May or until I reach my goal.

ETA: 5/6/14

Last night I went on a walk, and I didn't have any energy left over for cooking, so we ordered pizza. Tonight I felt better, so I made today's recipe. I will make yesterday's recipe tomorrow because tomorrow's recipe is just fruit compote. I'm looking forward to it.

Anyway, my crock pot was still soaking from the Whoa Breakfast oatmeal, so I cooked this whole recipe in the skillet. Here are the ingredients:

In a very large skillet I cooked 2 chopped onions, 4 cloves of sliced garlic, and some salt in 2 tbsp olive oil for 5 minutes. Then I added some chopped roasted red pepper, a chopped tomato, and a bay leaf ( I should have added a pinch of saffron, but I didn't have any):

I added a cup of wine and reduced it by half. Then I poured in 2 quarts of chicken broth and brought it to a boil:

I added (almost) 4 cups of rice and let it cook for about 20 minutes. Meanwhile I seasoned a pound of jumbo shrimp with a tbsp. of olive oil, salt, and white pepper:

When the rice was almost done, I put the shrimp on the rice and cooked it until pink, about 7 minutes:

I served the rice with the shrimp on top:
Everyone really liked this one. The problem was that it made way too much rice. Next time I might cut the amount of rice in half - two cups instead of four. If shrimp weren't so expensive, I might double the amount of shrimp too. My doctor says I need to eat more protein and fewer carbs. That's just such an expensive way to eat!

No comments:

Post a Comment