Thursday, May 9, 2013

April 18: Italian Escarole and White Bean Stew

Not sure why I missed this recipe, but I have the ingredients for it, so I might make it soon.

ETA: 4/18/14

It's been about a year since I blogged from this cookbook. I just had a baby and had a week of people bringing over meals for us. So it's the perfect time for me to start up making recipes again. I don't know if I'll be able to get through the rest of the year, but I'll try.

I made this for dinner tonight. It is from the "veggie variety" section. I gathered up these ingredients at about 9am.

I sautéed some onions and carrots in olive oil.

I added some garlic, then transferred it to the crock pot. I poured on a can of broth, then added some chopped escarole, and put two cans of navy beans on top. I sprinkled a little red pepper flakes over it, covered, and cooked for 7 hours on low.


I stirred it up,

seasoned it with salt and Parmesan cheese, and served it:
 
I remember making this recipe last year and really liking it. I didn't like it as much this time. I'm guessing it's because I cooked it for a long time. The beans turned out really mushy. I think last time I didn't cook it as long, and it had a nice flavor. Next time I might try 5 or 6 hours instead of 7 or 8.

No comments:

Post a Comment