Thursday, May 9, 2013

May 2: Chinese Chicken Stew

I have not made this recipe. I might make it next year.

ETA: 5/2/14

I made this recipe for dinner tonight. I started at about noon. Here are the ingredients:


I seasoned a pound of boneless, skinless chicken thighs in a teaspoon of Chinese 5 spice powder and 1/4 teaspoon of red pepper flakes:

Then I chopped the chicken and cooked it with a chopped onion in peanut oil for 5 minutes:

I added 2 cups of sliced mushrooms and 2 cloves of minced garlic:

After a couple minutes I transferred that mixture to the Crock Pot and added a can of chicken broth and a chopped bell pepper:

I cooked it on low for 3 1/2 hours, then added a tablespoon cornstarch mixed with 1/4 cup of the chicken broth, a tablespoon of sesame oil and 2 sliced green onions. Then it cooked for about a half hour more:

I served the stew with white rice:

This stew was pretty good. I think next time I would leave out the red pepper flakes so the kids don't have such a hard time eating it. DH liked it, so that's good. Only Reuben didn't like it. We had a lot of rice left over, so I made rice pudding for the kids for dessert. That's always a nice treat for them.

No comments:

Post a Comment