Wednesday, April 17, 2013

April 14: Cheesy Shrimp on Grits

On Monday I made Cheesy Shrimp on Grits. It is from the "brunch and breakfast" section of the cookbook. I started at about 5:30 PM, so I didn't end up using the crockpot. Here are the ingredients:
 
In a pan, I put 2 cups of finely chopped bell peppers, 1/2 cup thinly sliced celery, 1/2 cup chopped green onions, 1/2 stick cubed butter, 1 1/4 tsp seafood seasoning, 2 bay leaves, and 1/4 tsp ground red pepper:
 
I let that cook, covered, while I started preparing the grits. Once the grits were on, I added a pound of peeled shrimp to the peppers. It's supposed to cook in the crockpot for 4 hours on low or two hours on high before you put the shrimp in. I cooked the grits and the shrimp (separately) for 5 minutes:
 
Then I added 8 oz of shredded sharp Cheddar and 1/4 cup of whipping cream, and I stirred it until the cheese melted:
 
I served the shrimp on the grits and garnished it with green onions.

I liked this recipe for the most part. It was a little too oniony. DH hated it on principle. He said you're supposed to mix the cheese in with the grits, and then mix in the shrimp. You're not supposed to cook the shrimp in vegetables first! He can't stand vegetables in his breakfast food. So, next time I make this, I'll do it his way.

No comments:

Post a Comment