Wednesday, April 17, 2013

April 11: Greek-Style Chicken Stew

I didn't make this recipe this year. We kind of didn't have enough money to buy all our ingredients this week. Man, our tax return check can't come soon enough! I might try this one next year.


ETA: 4/30/14

I made this recipe for dinner tonight. I started it at about 9:00 this morning. I gathered up these ingredients:


In the Crock Pot, I put 2 c. sliced mushrooms, 2 c. cubed eggplant, 1 1/4 c. chicken broth, 3/4 c. chopped onion, 2 minced garlic cloves, 1 1/2 tsp. flour, 1 tsp. oregano, and 1/2 tsp. each of basil and thyme. I cooked that on high for one hour.

Meanwhile I floured some chicken thighs (the recipe calls for breasts, but I had thighs on hand), and browned them in a hot, oiled skillet:

After an hour, I removed the veggies to a bowl with a slotted spoon, then put the chicken in the bottom of the Crock Pot:

Then I put the veggies back in the crock pot, added 3 tbsp. sherry, and 1/4 tsp each of salt and pepper:

I cooked it on low for 6 hours, then added the artichokes and cooked for 45 more minutes:

I stirred it up:

Meanwhile I cooked some wide egg noodles:

And I served the stew over the noodles:

This was one of the most delicious meals I've ever eaten! I knew it was going to be good because my house smelled heavenly all day. The vegetables were perfectly cooked, the chicken was tender, but not mushy, and the sauce was rich and flavorful. This is going to be one I come back to in the future!

No comments:

Post a Comment