Thursday, April 4, 2013

April 3: Oatmeal Creme Brulee

I made this recipe on Sunday for the church Easter breakfast potluck. I (the Easter bunny) got up in the night to go to the bathroom, so I stayed up to get the baskets ready, hide the eggs, and decided to make breakfast while I was at it. I started at about 4:30am. Here are the ingredients:

I coated the crockpot with cooking spray. I covered it and preheated it on high while I brought 4 cups water to a boil. I poured the water into the crockpot and added 3 cups quick oats and 1/2 tsp salt:

I combined 6 egg yolks with 1/2 cup sugar and mixed it well. I heated 2 cups whipping cream with 1 tsp vanilla until it simmered. I removed it from the heat, then quickly whisked 1/2 c of that mixture into the egg yolks so they wouldn't curdle:

Then I whisked the warmed egg mixture into the cream and spooned it over top of the oatmeal without stirring:

I cooked it on low for 3 1/2 hours, then I went back to bed. When it was done, I sprinkled 1/2 cup brown sugar over it and let it cook (covered with a paper towel-lined lid) for 15 more minutes. I took it to church to serve at the potluck breakfast:

I didn't think this looked very good, but man, it tasted great! It was really rich and sweet, but perfect for a holiday brunch! I will put this on my list of things to make in the future.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment