Friday, April 5, 2013

April 5: Korean Barbecue Beef

I made Korean food tonight out of the "patio party foods" section of the cookbook. It was going to take a while to cook, so I started it at about 9:30 this morning. Here are the ingredients:

I placed 3 lbs of boneless beef short ribs in the crockpot. In a mixing bowl I combined 1/4 cup chopped green onions, 1/4 cup soy sauce, 1/4 cup beef broth, a tbsp brown sugar, 2 tsp minced fresh ginger, 2 tsp minced garlic, and 1/2 tsp pepper.

I poured the sauce over the beef and set it to cook on low for 7 to 8 hours.

I removed the ribs from the liquid, cooled slightly, trimmed the excess fat and cut the meat into bite sized pieces:

I  skimmed some of the fat from the cooking liquid, added 2 tsp sesame oil, then put the meat back in to heat up for a few minutes. Meanwhile I cooked some noodles. I served the meat on the noodles, garnished with toasted sesame seeds:


The recipe said you could use rice or linguine. Since we had rice yesterday, I decided on the pasta, but I only had vermicelli. I really liked it. The recipe also calls for 4 to 4 1/2 pounds of bone-in short ribs, but there is a tip that says, "Three pounds of boneless short ribs can be substituted for the beef short ribs." That's what I found at my grocer, so that's what I got. This recipe was very tasty. We all really liked it, the baby liked the meat especially. The girls liked the pasta the best, but they ate the meat ok too. This one's definitely a winner.

No comments:

Post a Comment