Thursday, April 4, 2013

March 26: Fall-Apart Pork Roast with Mole

This recipe is from the Fall Favorites section. I really like this section. The recipes are usually very easy and delicious. I started at about 10AM. Here are the ingredients:
 
I toasted some almonds:
 
Then added raisins, stirring constantly. I transferred half of them to a big mixing bowl and set the other half aside.
 
I put some oil in the skillet and sauteed some onions and garlic, then transferred that to the mixing bowl.
 
After I put more oil in the skillet, I browned the pork roast on all sides. I learned in the grocery store that shoulder roast is the same as butt roast. Huh.
 
While that was cooking, in the mixing bowl I put some bread cubes, some chopped chipotle peppers, a can of diced tomatoes, chopped Mexican chocolate, chicken broth and some salt:
 
I blended it with my immersion blender, but it had a hard time chopping up the almonds and chocolate. Maybe my traditional blender would have worked better.
 
I transferred the roast to the crockpot, then poured the mole over top. I covered it and cooked it on low for 7 - 8 hours.
 
I removed the roast to a platter:
 
Then I whisked the sauce until smooth:
 
I served the pork shredded with mole on top, garnished with toasted almonds and raisins and rice on the side:
 
This recipe was very delicious! I loved the roast, the mole was just right - not too chocolaty, not too spicy. The almonds added a nice touch. I will definitely make this again!

No comments:

Post a Comment