Monday, March 25, 2013

March 25: Hot Broccoli Cheese Dip

I made this dip for dinner tonight, but it was one of those days where I forgot to start it until dinner time. I fed my hubby the leftover salmon from lunch, and gave my kids bologna sandwiches. We ate this after the kids went to bed. I started gathering the ingredients at about 5:30PM.

I melted a stick of butter in a skillet while I chopped 6 stalks of celery and 2 onions. I added them and 2 drained cans of mushrooms to the skillet:

That cooked until the onions were translucent, then I stirred in 6 tbsp of flour and cooked it for 3 more minutes. I transferred it to the crockpot and stirred in 2 cans of cream of celery soup, 6 oz of cubed garlic cheese, and 2 bags of frozen broccoli florets. I cooked it on high, stirring every 15 minutes until the cheese was melted. I was supposed to switch it to low, but I was getting hungry, so I kept it on high and cooked it for another hour.

I served it with sliced French bread, bell pepper strips, and grape tomatoes:

I can imagine that this dip, although chock full of vegetables, is not very good for you, what with all the butter, creamy soup, and cheese. But man it sure did taste good! It really hit the spot.

1 comment:

  1. It might not be a healthy dinner, but it seems pretty good for a party dip. It looks really good.

    ReplyDelete