Friday, March 1, 2013

March 1: Chocolate-Stuffed Slow Cooker French Toast

I have not made this recipe yet. I wanted to make my sick husband feel better after having to work for 3 days straight while sick, so I made him pizza for dinner. It really cheered him up. He was even laughing. Plus, I thought this French toast would be delicious for a Saturday morning brunch, so I'll make it in the morning and update the post tomorrow.

ETA 3/2/13

This morning I started this when I got up. It was about 8am. Here are the ingredients:
 
I buttered a casserole dish and layered in 3 layers, 6 slices challah (I used rolls) with 1 cup chocolate chips (the recipe says 1/2 cup, but I read it wrong and put in a whole cup):
 
I mixed up 6 eggs, 3 cups half-and-half, 2/3 cup sugar, 1 tsp vanilla, and 1/4 tsp salt. Then I poured that over the bread and pressed the bread down into the egg mixture:
 
My casserole dish was too big to fit in the crockpot; it was a 2 1/2-quart dish. It was supposed to cook on high 3 hours, but I baked the French toast in the oven on 375 for about an hour.
 
It was to be served with powdered sugar or syrup, but with the extra chocolate it was sweet enough:

This was a really delicious breakfast. Very rich. Everybody liked it. I even had some for lunch and it's delicious cold, too. You must have to have a giant crockpot in order for a 2 1/2-quart casserole dish to fit in it. It's okay though, because I don't mind turning on the oven when it's 20 degrees outside.

No comments:

Post a Comment