Wednesday, March 20, 2013

March 17: Russian Borscht

I made this recipe on St. Patrick's Day. It was very red, so not so appropriate. I was still sick, but I wanted to be able to eat. Here are the ingredients:

In the crockpot I put 4 cups sliced green cabbage, 1 1/2 pounds shredded beets, 5 cut-up carrots, a cut-up turnip (it calls for a parsnip, but I can't buy just one parsnip, and I had some turnips left over, so I used what I had), a chopped onion, 4 chopped cloves of garlic, 1 pound of beef stew meat, a can of diced tomatoes, 3 cans of beef broth, 1/4 cup lemon juice, 1 tbsp sugar and 1 tsp pepper:

I cooked it on low for about 8 hours and served it:

This meal was not very good and nobody liked it. I tried it again the next day with a dollop of sour cream, like the recipe suggests and it was much better. I'm still eating it because it made a lot, but my family won't eat any more of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment