Friday, March 22, 2013

March 21: East Indian Curried Chicken with Capers and Brown Rice

I made this recipe for dinner last night. It is from the "meaty main dishes" portion of the cookbook in the Winter section. It was about 4PM when I started gathering the ingredients. I was very tired from a long day of grocery shopping and babysitting, plus still getting over my sickness, AND the baby kept us up crying ALL night (literally), so it took me a while to get everything prepared.

In the crockpot I combined 2 diced plum tomatoes, a can of chopped artichoke hearts, a cup of chicken broth, a chopped red onion, 1/3 cup white wine, and 1/4 cup capers.

In a bowl, I combined 2 tbsp instant tapioca, 2 tsp curry powder, 1/2 tsp ground thyme, 1/4 tsp each salt and pepper. Then I stirred that into the crockpot. I added 1 1/2 pounds boneless chicken breasts, and spooned the sauce over the chicken to coat:

I let that cook on high for 3 hours (or you could cook it on low for 7 to 9 hours), and served it over brown rice. It was 7:30 before we ate dinner.

This meal had an interesting flavor. Not bad, but it lacked a needed sweetness. I think it was too sour, with the capers and tomatoes. I think I usually add coconut milk or something sweet to curry, so this could have been better. I don't think the kids liked it much, except DD6. DH didn't like it because he's sick with a sickness where nothing tastes good, not even his favorite foods. I was there last week, so I know what it's like. If I ever try this again, I might try adding a spoonful of sugar to sweeten it just a tad.

1 comment:

  1. Hummm. That looks good. Even if it did not taste great to your DH, I am sure it had nutrients that will help him. Very glad that DD6 liked it.

    ReplyDelete