Thursday, March 7, 2013

March 6: Northwest Beef and Vegetable Soup

Well, I'm a day behind again. I made this yesterday, but I started it too late, and it wasn't done in time for dinner. We ate fast food instead, since we had to go to church. We had this one for dinner tonight. Today's recipe was a pumpkin custard, but I might make that in the morning.
 
This meal is from the "soup for supper" section. These are the ingredients:
 
I heated 2 tbsp of oil in a skillet and seared a pound of beef stew meat:
 
I added a chopped onion and clove of garlic to the pan with the meat and then transferred it to the crockpot. Then I added 3 1/2 cups crushed tomatoes, a can of rinsed and drained white beans, a part of a butternut squash (I couldn't find a buttercup squash this time of year), a diced turnip, a diced potato, 2 sliced stalks of celery, some basil, salt and pepper. Then I poured 8 cups of water over top, and set it to cook on high for 2 hours:
 
After two hours it was supposed to cook on low for 4 to 6 hours more:

This soup was not bad, but it wasn't that great either. It's not one I would make again, just because it's a little bland and the beef didn't turn out that great. The kids didn't like it at all.

No comments:

Post a Comment