Friday, March 8, 2013

March 7: Pumpkin Custard

I'm a day behind again. I wonder if I will ever get back on track. Hopefully tomorrow. Anyway, I made the pumpkin custard today, but not in the crockpot. I wanted to make it in ramekins like the picture. So I started at about noon, and I preheated the oven to 350. I gathered up the ingredients:

In a bowl, I combined 1 cup of pumpkin, 1/2 cup brown sugar, 2 eggs, and 1/2 tsp each of cinnamon, ginger, and lemon peel:
 
I mixed all that up, then added one can of evaporated milk. Then I poured the mixture into ramekins, placed it in a pan and filled it an inch full with water.
 
I baked it for about 50 minutes I think. I was just guessing, so I kept checking it every 10 minutes or so. I didn't keep track. After it came out, I sprinkled some cinnamon on top:

If you want to make this in the crockpot, you have to use a 1 1/2 quart casserole that fits inside. And you have to pour water into the crockpot and cook it on low for 4 hours. This was good custard. The lemon peel was an interesting touch, not bad, but not necessary either. DH hates lemon peel, so I didn't leave him any to try. I put some cool whip on top, and I liked it better that way.

No comments:

Post a Comment