Sunday, March 10, 2013

March 10: Shepherd's Pie

Well, today is my husband's birthday. We went out for lunch at Tastebud's after church and we got their salad bar. I started this dinner when we got home. Here are the ingredients:

I cooked 2 pounds of ground beef in a skillet. It was supposed to be a pound each of beef and lamb, but I couldn't find any lamb, so I used beef:

To the skillet I added a package of frozen onions and 2 tsp minced garlic and cooked it until the onions softened:

I put all that in the crockpot with the beef, then added a drained can of diced tomatoes, 3 tbsp of minute tapioca, a bag of frozen peas and carrots, 2 tsp dried oregano, and some salt and pepper:

It said to cook on low for 7 to 8 hours, but I didn't have that long, so I cooked it on high for about 4 hours. Instead of the called-for packages of premade mashed potatoes, I boiled and mashed 3 pounds of potatoes. It was much cheaper. I had DH spread the potatoes over the beef, and cook on low while we were at evening church. I forgot to take a picture. We had friends over to eat with us, so I was distracted and didn't take a picture of the final food. But here is my lovely husband blowing out his candles:


We liked the shepherd's pie. It is good old fashioned comfort food. Now I have to go to bed.

No comments:

Post a Comment