Sunday, March 24, 2013

March 23: Apple-Cinnamon Breakfast Risotto

I made this for breakfast this morning, but it took longer than the recipe called for, so we ended up eating it for lunch. I put it in at about 7:30am. Here are the ingredients:

The recipe called for Granny Smith apples, but my favorite kind, Gala, were on sale this week, so I just went with them. I melted 1/2 stick butter in a skillet, then added 4 peeled and chopped apples, 1 1/2 tsp cinnamon, 1/4 tsp allspice, and 1/4 tsp salt.

I cooked that for 3-5 minutes, then transferred it to the crockpot. I added 1 1/2 cups arborio rice and stirred it up:

I sprinkled on 1/2 cup brown sugar, then added 4 cups apple juice and 1 tsp vanilla. The recipe said to cook it for 1 1/2 to 2 hours. After 1 1/2 hours, the liquid wasn't even half way absorbed, so I left it to cook on high for 4 hours while we went to church. When we got home it still wasn't all the way absorbed, but we ate it. We sprinkled almonds, raisins, and milk on top:

This risotto was very good, but I would consider it more a dessert than a meal. It was very sweet. The almonds really added a nice crunch to it.

No comments:

Post a Comment