Saturday, May 10, 2014

May 10: Double Corn Chowder

Tonight I made this recipe from the 'soup for supper' section of the cookbook. First I gathered up these ingredients. It was about noon when I started:

In the Crock Pot, I put 2 chopped celery stalks, 6 ounces chopped Canadian bacon, a small onion, a diced serrano pepper, a cup of frozen corn, a cup of canned hominy, some salt, pepper, and thyme, then a cup of chicken broth. I cooked that on low for about 6 hours:

I stirred together a tablespoon of flour with 2 tbsp of milk:

I stirred that into the chowder, then stirred in 1 1/2 cups of half-and-half:

I cooked it for about 20 minutes longer, then served it:

This chowder was pretty good. The Canadian bacon kicked up the flavor. I had to tell myself it would taste like grits because of the hominy. That way I'm not caught off guard expecting just sweet corn. I didn't used to like hominy, but I'm getting used to it. The kids like grits, so they liked the soup when I told them it would taste like grits.

No comments:

Post a Comment