Wednesday, May 21, 2014

May 21: Plantation Peanut Soup

Tonight I made Peanut Soup... kind of odd, but it didn't look too bad so I gave it a whirl. It was about 2:30 when I gathered up these ingredients and got started:

In the Crock Pot, I put 6 cups of chicken broth, 2 cups of cream, a cup of peanut butter, 1/4 cup of butter, 1/2 chopped onion, a tsp of celery salt (I ran out of celery, so I did this instead of putting in 1/2 c. chopped celery and a tsp. of salt), and 1/2 c. chopped peanuts.

I let that cook for a while on low (3-4 hours). Then I whisked together 1/2 c. each of flour and water and stirred that into the soup:

I cooked it on high for about a half hour more until it was nice and thick. During that time I stirred it 2 or 3 times:

I served it garnished with chopped peanuts:

This soup has an excellent flavor. But I should have had a nice salad to go with it to balance it out. It was very heavy. It was also very chunky. I bet I would have liked it better if I had used creamy peanut butter, and not put all the chopped peanuts in it. "The unsalted nuts make me choke!" Bonus points if you can name that movie. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment