Tuesday, May 20, 2014

May 20: Vegetarian Sausage Rice

I forgot to start this recipe this afternoon before my nap, so I ended up waiting until it was too late to cook it in the Crock Pot. So I made it on the stove. I gathered up all the ingredients:

In a pot I put 2 chopped bell peppers, a can of kidney bans, a can of diced tomatoes with green peppers and onions, a chopped onion, a cup of sliced celery, 1/2 cup of water, 3/4 cup converted rice, 1 1/4 tsp. salt, 1/2 tsp. dried thyme, 1/2 tsp. red pepper flakes, and 3 bay leaves. (I left out the tsp. hot sauce for the kids' sake). I cooked that on the stove top for about 20 minutes:

In a skillet I cooked 8 ounces of diced vegetable-protein breakfast patties with some olive oil for a couple minutes:

I added it to the rice, then deglazed the skillet with 1/2 cup of water and added that to the rice as well:

I let it cook for a few more minutes because the rice wasn't quite done yet. Then I added some chopped parsley, gave it a quick stir, and served it up:

This rice dish had a pretty good flavor. It seemed pretty healthy, too. The kids liked it, especially the "fake" meat. DH didn't try it because he had a meeting tonight. The breakfast patties were kind of expensive though. He told me next time to just buy regular sausage!

No comments:

Post a Comment