Monday, May 19, 2014

May 19: Autumn Herbed Chicken with Fennel and Squash

I made this recipe for dinner tonight, and I started it around 1pm. First I gathered up all the ingredients:

I started out my salting and peppering 6 chicken thighs, dredging them with a little flour, and browning them 3 minutes per side in olive oil in a large skillet:

I put the chicken thighs in the Crock Pot. On top I added a sliced fennel bulb, 1/2 cubed butternut squash, 3/4 cup walnuts, 1 tsp. dried thyme, 3/4 cup chicken broth, and 1/2 cup apple juice:

I cooked it on high for about 4 hours:

This is supposed to be served with rice or pasta, but I'm trying to eat low(er) carb, so I didn't make any. I did sprinkle fresh basil and rosemary on top after I took this picture. I was way too excited about this recipe. It looked like it was going to be great, but I was disappointed for a few reasons. It was very greasy... next time I think I will take the skin off the chicken thighs to cut down on the fat just a little. I didn't like the walnuts... I will leave those out next time. The fennel was undercooked... I should have cooked it on low for 5 to 7 hours. The dish was not very flavorful; I feel like it needed a little candying and maybe that's what the apple juice was for, but it got lost in the grease maybe. It did taste better once I put the fresh herbs on top. It could have done with a little salt too. Also, since I didn't make the rice, we could have done with more vegetables. I should have just put in the whole squash instead of leaving half of it out. Now I have to find something to do with 1/2 a squash! Maybe I'll try this again some day and it will turn out better if I follow my advice.

No comments:

Post a Comment