Thursday, May 29, 2014

May 29: Asian Golden Barley with Cashews

I made this for dinner tonight, but with the stuck on sauce from yesterday, and being busy all day, I had to make it on the stove instead of in the Crock Pot. I gathered up these ingredients at about 4:30.

In a nonstick skillet, my daughter stirred 2 tbsp. butter with a cup of barley for about 10 minutes (she did a very good job):


Then I added 3 cups of veg. stock, a chopped onion, a chopped green bell pepper, 2 chopped celery stalks, a minced clove of garlic, and 1/4 tsp. pepper.

I simmered it for about an hour:

I served it topped with chopped cashews:

I didn't plan tonight's dinner very well. We are trying to go low carb, and barley isn't that bad of a carb, but there was practically no protein in our dinner. This would have been great as a side dish, but I didn't get any meat to go with the barley! It was a little bland and somewhat slimy, but not horrible. We spruced it up with a little soy sauce. I ate some Greek yogurt for my protein, so it's all good.

No comments:

Post a Comment