Sunday, May 11, 2014

May 11: Homestyle Apple Brown Betty

Today was Mother's Day, and this was the perfect recipe for today. My kids and hubby took me out to eat after church, and he grilled sausage dogs for supper. I had this recipe for us when we got back from the evening service. It worked out great. I started it at about 4:45. Here are the ingredients:


I peeled, cored, and cut 6 apples into 8ths. I used granny Smith. I spread them into the bottom of the Crock Pot:

In a bowl I stirred together a cup of bread crumbs, a teaspoon each of cinnamon and nutmeg, 1/8 tsp of salt, 1/2 cup of brown sugar, 1/2 cup of melted butter, and 1/4 cup of chopped walnuts:

I layered that on top of the apples:

And I cooked it on low for 3 or 4 hours:

I served it warm with vanilla ice cream:

This was really good. I've never had this before, and I wasn't sure I'd like the bread crumb mixture, but I did. I especially like the chewiness of the walnuts. I had this helping, then an extra-big helping after I cleaned up and washed the dishes (happy Mother's Day to me!). It's a keeper!

No comments:

Post a Comment