Friday, May 16, 2014

May 16: Breakfast Berry Bread Pudding

This is a recipe that takes 3-4 hours to cook, so I couldn't do it overnight, yet it's supposed to be for breakfast. Well, I didn't want to get up at 4 in the morning to start it (although I could have since I was up feeding the baby, but that's neither here nor there), so we decided to just have it for dessert of lunch. So I started it at about 8:30am. I gathered up these ingredients and toasted a half cup of slivered almonds:

I mixed up 6 cups of cubed sourdough bread with a cup of raisins and the toasted almonds in a greased Crock Pot:

In another bowl I mixed up 6 eggs with 1 1/2 cups brown sugar, 1 3/4 cups milk, 1 1/2 teaspoons cinnamon and a teaspoon of vanilla:

Then I poured the egg mixture over the bread mixture:

I cooked it on high for 3 hours:

I served it with sliced strawberries and blueberries and garnished it with mint leaves:

I had some bread leftover, so I ended up making a breakfast strata with bacon, cheese and eggs and the rest of the bread. We had that for lunch, and we had this bread pudding for dessert. I feel like we ate two times the bread pudding! This was really good, though. It had the perfect amount of sweetness. The berries are in season, so they were really sweet too. I think this would be great for a potluck brunch. I'll have to remember that.

No comments:

Post a Comment