Monday, May 26, 2014

May 22: Strawberry Rhubarb Crisp

I made this on Thursday for lunch. I started with these ingredients:

In the Crock Pot, I put 4 cups sliced strawberries, 4 cups diced rhubarb, 1 1/2 cups sugar, and 2 tablespoons lemon juice.

I let that cook for 1 1/2 hours on high. Then I gathered up the topping ingredients:

In a bowl, I cut a stick of butter into 1 cup flour, 1 cup oats, 1/2 cup sugar, 1/2 cup brown sugar, 1/2 tsp. ginger, and 1/2 tsp. nutmeg. Then I added 1/2 cup toasted sliced almonds.

When the fruit was done cooking, I thickened the liquid with 1 1/2 tbsp. corn starch mixed with 2 tbsp. water. I let that cook for 15 minutes.

I sprinkled the topping onto the fruit and cooked it in the oven for 15 minutes.

I served it for our after school snack:

I didn't think the topping would soak down into the fruit, but I guess there was just too much liquid. Maybe I should have drained a little bit? This was not my favorite crisp recipe. For one thing, I think there was too much topping. It was very sugary - way too much for me. Plus I didn't like the flavor of the ginger or the toasted almonds in the topping. It really didn't mix well with the rhubarb. I probably won't make this recipe again. The kids really loved it though. DH didn't try it because he doesn't like rhubarb at all. At least the rhubarb was in season, and on sale. So I didn't waste too much money on this!

No comments:

Post a Comment