Saturday, February 9, 2013

February 9: Chicken and Brie Sliders

Today I made chicken and brie sliders for dinner. I started at about 2:30pm, gathering the ingredients:

I chopped a red bell pepper, a carrot, a stalk of celery, an onion, and a clove of garlic and put them in the crockpot with 1/4 tsp each of oregano and red pepper flakes:

I trimmed the fat from 6 chicken thighs, put them in a ziploc bag that had 1/4 cup flour and some salt and pepper in it, shook it up, then browned the thighs in 1 tbsp hot oil in a skillet:

I put the chicken on top of the veggies in the crockpot, then poured a can of chicken broth over it:
 
I cooked it for about 3 1/2 hours on high, then I sliced up the chicken and put it on sub rolls. I layered each one with 2 tbsp of veggies and 2 slices of brie. I ate a whole one, but these are supposed to be appetizers - each one cut into 3 sections.

I really liked these sandwiches. But I spent all afternoon cleaning, so I was REALLY hungry. I think they still would have been good. I think it was fitting that my 6-year old quoted a Bible verse to me right before we ate, "For the man who is full, even honey isn't sweet, but for the hungry man, even bitter food tastes sweet." DH doesn't like the brie, so I gave him American cheese. I think these sandwiches are a mix of casual (chicken and carrots) and fancy (brie). I like that.

No comments:

Post a Comment