Wednesday, February 27, 2013

February 27: Ham with Fruited Bourbon Sauce

I made this ham today, starting at around 1:30pm. I cooked it on high for 4 1/2 hours, but I could have cooked it on low for 9-10 hours. Here are the ingredients:
 
I had to trim the ham because I bought a 10-pounder, and the recipe called for a 6 pound ham. Also, it wouldn't fit in the crockpot. So I trimmed it and put it in the crockpot that had been sprayed with cooking spray. In a bowl, I mixed up 1/2 cup apple juice, 3/4 cup dark brown sugar, 1/2 cup raisins, 1 tsp ground cinnamon, 1/4 tsp red pepper flakes, and 1/3 cup dried cherries (I was supposed to wait till the last 30 minutes of cooking time to put the cherries in, but I didn't read the directions close enough. They were fine.) Then I poured the mixture over the ham, covered it, and cooked it on high for about 4 1/2 hours: 
 
I removed the ham to a cutting board, then poured the sauce to cool 5 minutes in a measuring cup in order to skim the fat. Then I poured it back into the crockpot. I mixed up 1/4 cup each of cornstarch and rum (could also be bourbon or apple sauce), and stirred it into the sauce. That cooked on high, covered, for 20 more minutes. It was supposed to thicken, but it just got clumpy:
 
I sliced up the ham and served it with the sauce:
 

I was disappointed because I didn't like the rum sauce. It would have been so good had I used juice instead, and I ruined it. I'm throwing out the rest of it and I'll eat the leftovers without sauce. DH didn't like it; he ate the cold ham that I trimmed off. DDs liked it because it was sweet with the fruit (I didn't give them any rum sauce, just raisins and cherries).

No comments:

Post a Comment