Monday, February 25, 2013

February 25: Hearty Beef Short Ribs

Today, from the Holiday Entertainment section of the cookbook, I made Hearty Beef Short Ribs. I wanted to cook them on low, so I started at about 9am.
 
I salted and peppered 2 1/2 pounds flanken-style short ribs, drizzled them with olive oil, then browned them in a hot skillet:
 
After a transferred them to the crockpot, I added 2 diced carrots, 2 diced celery stalks, a diced large onion, 3 minced garlic cloves, and 3 bay leaves:
 
In a small bowl, I mixed up 1/3 cup each of crushed tomatoes, balsamic vinegar, and red wine:
 
I poured that over the ingredients in the crockpot, and I cooked it on low for about 8 hours:
 
I removed the ribs to a platter, so tender they were falling off the bones, then I transferred the sauce to a blender and blended it for a few seconds:
 
Then I served the meat with the sauce. I was too tired today to make any side dishes, so pardon the plain-looking photograph.

This meat was so good. Possibly the best meat I've ever had. I keep saying that with these recipes. I guess it's the slow-cooking of it that makes it wonderful. I will definitely make this again. It's not too expensive... under $10 for 2 1/2 lbs is pretty good I think.

The tip at the bottom of the page says: "For a change of pace from ordinary short rib recipes, ask your butcher for flanken-style beef short ribs. Flanken-style ribs are cut across the bones into wide, flat portions. They provide all the meaty flavor of the more common English-style short ribs with smaller, more manageable bones." My butcher wasn't sure what flanken-style was, but when I described it to him, he said it's often referred to as "Hawaiian-style."

No comments:

Post a Comment