Tuesday, February 19, 2013

February 19: Spanish Paella-Style Rice

I made this rice today, adding some ham to make it a main dish. Here are the ingredients (minus the ham):

I combined a quart of broth, 1 1/2 cups rice, diced bell pepper, 1/2 cup of wine, 1/2 tsp turmeric, and some red pepper flakes in the crockpot:

I mixed it well and cooked it on low, covered, for 4 hours. Then I mixed in the ham and 1/2 cup peas:
 
 I cooked it for 30 more minutes and served it seasoned with salt:

This rice tasted good, but it was very mushy. I think I cooked it too long. I may have cooked it 5 hours instead of 4. I should have cooked the rice for 3 1/2 hours and then 15 more minutes after I added the peas. The kids liked it, surprisingly, but DH didn't like it. He said it was too soft and he didn't like having to salt it.

No comments:

Post a Comment