Thursday, February 7, 2013

February 7: Glazed Cinnamon Coffee Cake

So, today was grocery day, but it was also a snow day. Whenever there is a snow day in northern Wisconsin, that usually means the roads are so bad that even a seasoned winter driver from Wisconsin is afraid to drive on them. I can drive on snow, but I did not want to brave it today. Luckily, I had all the ingredients on hand for the coffee cake recipe! Yay! I will have to get groceries tomorrow, I guess.

My kids and I had lots of activities planned for today, and one of them was to bake a coffee cake. So we started at around 10:30. I gathered up all the ingredients:

I had to generously spray the crockpot, then line the bottom with parchment paper:

I mixed up the streusel first. It was 1/4 cup of brown sugar, 1/4 cup of baking mix, and 1/2 tsp cinnamon:

Then I mixed the batter. I mixed up 1 1/2 cups of baking mix, 3/4 cup sugar, 1/2 cup vanilla yogurt, an egg, and 1 tsp vanilla:

I spread half of the batter in the bottom of the crockpot, then layered it with half the streusel, the other half of the batter, and the other half of the streusel:

I lined the lid with paper towels, then cooked it on high for 1 3/4 hours. Then I let it rest 10 minutes, inverted it onto a plate, peeled off the paper, and inverted it again onto a serving platter:

I whisked 2 tablespoons of milk into 1 cup of powdered sugar to make a glaze. I spooned on the glaze and sprinkled on the almonds:

Then I served it with cappuccino (yum):


The note under this recipe is: "This recipe works best in a round Crock-Pot slow cooker." I believe it, and it called for a 4-quart slow cooker, but the only round one I have is probably only 2 quarts. So I used my regular one. For one thing, the batter barely fits all the way to the edges. For another thing, the edges start to burn before the middle is done. I did get it to work, and it did turn out really tasty, but the edges on one side were burned and completely inedible. Other than that, I would definitely make this again.

If I'm going to be making these recipes for a whole year, I might think about investing in another crock-pot. It sure would come in handy if I have to let one soak overnight. I'll let you know what I decide.

No comments:

Post a Comment