Sunday, February 24, 2013

February 24: Steamed Southern Sweet Potato Custard

Today's recipe was a delicious sweet potato custard:
 
I mixed up canned sweet potatoes, evaporated milk, 1/2 cup brown sugar, 2 eggs, 1 tsp cinnamon, 1/2 tsp ginger, and 1/4 tsp salt in a blender:
 
I poured it into an ungreased casserole. I was supposed to cook it in the crockpot filled with 2 cups water for 2 1/2-3 hours, but my crockpot was still dirty from the soup this morning, so I just baked it at 375 for about 40 minutes.
 
It turned out great. Custard is done when toothpick comes out clean. I served it with cool whip and nutmeg on top:

I really like this custard. It was basically pie filling. I could have poured it into one of my pie shells and it would have been a delicious pie. It was still good though. Yum!

No comments:

Post a Comment