Saturday, February 23, 2013

February 23: Chicken Tortilla Soup

Not sure about this soup. I forgot to thaw out the chicken early enough. I guess I'll make it tomorrow morning and eat it when we get home from church.

ETA 3/1/13

I made this recipe on Sunday, but forgot till now to update this post. Here are the ingredients for the first part:
 
First I put the chicken in the crockpot:
 
In a bowl, I combined 2 cans diced tomatoes, 1 can green chilies, 1/2 cup chicken broth, a diced yellow onion, 2 minced garlic cloves, and a tsp cumin. Then I poured that mixture over the chicken:

That cooked on high for 3 hours, then, when we got home from church, I gathered up the rest of the ingredients:

I sliced 4 tortillas, chopped 2 tbsp cilantro, cut up an avocado, and cut the lime into wedges:
 
I removed the chicken from the crockpot, shredded it, then added it back in along with the tortillas:
 
I served the soup with cilantro, Monterrey jack cheese, avocado, and a lime wedge.

This soup was absolutely delicious. There was nothing about it I didn't like. If I wasn't making a different recipe every day, I'd probably make this recipe every week. DH liked it except that there were so many tomatoes. He was sick, so I think he didn't enjoy it as much as he would have. The kids liked it too.

1 comment: