Wednesday, January 9, 2013

January 9: Bean and Vegetable Burritos

Today we had burritos made with black beans and other vegetables. This is from the Veggie Variety category in the Autumn section of the cookbook. First I gathered the ingredients. It was about 11am:
 
Then I mixed up some chili powder, cumin, and oregano.
 
As I chopped the ingredients I layered them in the crockpot: sweet potatoes, black beans, half of the chili powder mixture, 4 cloves garlic, onion, Jalapeno pepper, green bell pepper, other half of chili powder mixture and frozen corn:
 
I set in on low and cooked it for 5 hours. Then I chopped the cilantro and mixed it in with some lime juice:
 
Four large tortillas were topped with shredded cheese, then 1 cup of the veggie mixture:
 
The burritos were all wrapped up, set in a baking sheet seam side down, and then put in a 350 degree oven to heat for 30 minutes: 
 
Then they were ready to serve:
 
My husband does NOT like these burritos and I won't be making them again. I didn't think they were too bad, although the sweet potato was different. He didn't like the sour part. At first I couldn't figure out what it was, but I now I think it's the lime juice. I guess if we really wanted burritos, we would just make the regular kind with meat in them.
 
There was one thing I liked. I cooked the burritos in the oven with foil over them, and I love the way the shell turned out nice and crispy on the bottom. It made it really easy to eat!

No comments:

Post a Comment