Friday, January 11, 2013

January 11: Steamed Pumpkin Cake

It's interesting making a baked good in the Crock Pot. I've never done that before. I rather like it. In my last 365 day cookbook there was only one dessert, but the rest were just dinners. This year it's nice to mix it up a little (by the way, we had pizza rolls for dinner, a la my husband).

So, on to the dessert! At about 1:30 this afternoon, I started by gathering the ingredients for this cake. I love to bake, so this was not hard for me:
 
The instructions say, "Place three 18x2-inch strips of heavy-duty foil in Crock-Pot slow cooker, crisscrossing to form spokes across bottom and up sides." This is what it looked like:
 
I mixed up the flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, salt and cloves,
 
beat the brown sugar, butter, and eggs with a beater,
 
then beat in the pumpkin:
 
The flour mixture was then stirred in: 
 
The batter was then spooned into a greased casserole dish, the crockpot was filled 1 inch with water, and the casserole was placed into the crockpot and covered:
 
It set to bake for 4 hours on high. The recipe said 3 to 3 1/2, but I wanted to make sure it was done.
 
I lifted it out of the crock pot with the foil "handles" and set it on a wire rack to cool for 15 minutes.
 
Then it was inverted onto a plate, cut into wedges, and served with whipped cream:
 
I was kind of concerned how this cake would turn out, since I've never baked anything in a crock pot until now. I've gotta tell you, it was delicious! Perfectly baked all the way through and very moist! Definitely a winner and a hit at my ladies' movie night tonight.

No comments:

Post a Comment