Thursday, January 31, 2013

January 31: Curried Potato, Cauliflower and Peas

Funny story. You know when I start that way, it's not going to be good. Today was grocery day but I didn't feel like going. Something to do with the packed up snow on the roads. That also meant that I didn't have the ingredients to today's supper. What I did have the ingredients for was the cornbread stuffing that I didn't make last week! So, go back to my cornbread stuffing recipe and read all about it. Hopefully tomorrow I can catch up on these recipes. Maybe I'll make the curry for lunch and the Chuck and Stout Soup for dinner. :)

I eventually did go out, but I had my friend over for a day of scrapbooking and then I went to the store. So I'm all stocked up now. Here are some pictures of our fun day:
This is my son with her daughter.

And this is my daughter with her son.

ETA:

2/1/13 Today I made this recipe for lunch. I gathered the ingredients:

I cooked some onion, ginger, and garlic in oil:

I put 2 pounds of sliced red potatoes in the crockpot. Then I mixed up 1/2 tsp of cumin and 1/2 tsp of coriander with 1 tsp of salt. Then I sprinkled half of that mixture over the potatoes:

I topped the potatoes with the onion mixture, then the cauliflower florets. I sprinkled the remaining spice mixture over the cauliflower:

I topped that with a cup of vegetable broth and cooked it on high for 3 1/2 hours. Then I added peas. I was supposed to add tomatoes too, which I thought I had, but I didn't know they were moldy, so no tomatoes. I cooked that for 30 more minutes:
 

I tasted this, but didn't eat a lot. Maybe we will eat it over rice on another day. It was okay, but I didn't like the flavor very much. I was supposed to season it with garam masala, but I couldn't find it. I don't know if I would like that or not. The recipe says: "Garam masala is a blend of Asian spices available in the spice aisle of many supermarkets. If garam masala is unavailable substitute 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin and 1/2 teaspoon ground coriander seeds." So that's what I did.

No comments:

Post a Comment