Thursday, January 17, 2013

January 17: Seafood and Tomato Herb Ragout

Today's recipe is a ragout... which I think is supposed to be a mixture of different kinds of food in a sauce. This turned out more like a soup. Today was grocery day, but I was feeling extremely exhausted to the point of being sick this morning. So I took a morning nap with the baby and then met hubby for lunch. I did my shopping after lunch, so it was 3PM before I turned on the crockpot.

Here are the ragout ingredients - all very fresh:
 
I chopped up the vegetables and dumped all the ingredients in the crockpot except the seafood:
 
 I cooked it on high for 3 hours since it was so late, then I added the scallops, shrimp, and haddock and cooked it for 30 minutes more:
 
We served it up over rice:
 
This meal was very expensive, so I think my expectations were so high that I couldn't enjoy the meal. I expected the scallops (which were over $1/piece) to taste like heaven itself! But they were kind of tough and very bland. A couple of the shrimp were undercooked, and the veggies were still crunchy. I think it could have stood to cook another hour or so.
 
This is the kind of meal that I think some people love. I like seafood, but when you put it into a tomatoey broth, it just doesn't do it for me. I would prefer something creamy I think. Not that I won't eat this, but I don't think I'll make it again.

No comments:

Post a Comment