Monday, January 7, 2013

January 7: Campfired-Up Sloppy Joes

Today I made sloppy joes from the summer "Patio Party Foods" section of the cookbook. Here are the ingredients:
 
I chopped up an onion and a bell pepper, crushed a clove of garlic, then cooked them with the ground beef in the skillet:
 
While that was cooking I mixed up some ketchup, barbecue sauce, vinegar, Worcestershire sauce, brown sugar, and chili powder:
 
Then I mixed the meat together with the sauce, and added in a can of baked beans:
I cooked it for about 4 hours on high, but the recipe said 3 hours. I didn't actually start this one till after lunch. It burned a little, so I gotta start watching that clock! Here it is all done cooking:
 
We filled up our kaiser rolls, and topped the filling with sharp Cheddar cheese:
 
These sloppy joes were pretty good, but I think I'd rather have my baked beans on the side than in the meat. The cheese really improved the flavor, so I definitely recommend it even though the recipe says it's optional. And I didn't read the serving suggestion beforehand, but I wish I had. It says to serve with a side of coleslaw. It would have rounded out the meal and made the picture look better!
 
Funny thing: my kids don't like sloppy joes. I think they're supposed to be a kid-friendly food, but maybe that's for older kids. Mine just don't like getting messy! Hubby really liked it, though.

No comments:

Post a Comment