Thursday, June 12, 2014

June 11: Baked Beans

I've been making a lot of beans lately! I was gone all day today, dentists appointments for me and the kids, grocery shopping, and shopping for other stuff. It was tiring, and I didn't even get to start dinner until 4:00. These beans were supposed to cook in the Crock Pot for 8 to 12 hours! I attempted them in the oven. I gathered up these ingredients:

So I used a Corningware dish instead of the Crock Pot. In it I put a big can of baked beans, a cup of ketchup, a half cup each of barbecue sauce and brown sugar, 5 chopped slices of bacon, 1/2 chopped bell pepper, 1/2 chopped onion, and 1 1/2 tsp. mustard:

I stirred it up and cooked it in the oven on 350 for about an hour.

I served it with chopped parsley:

I didn't cook this long enough the first time. We ate our servings, but then I put it back in the oven because the bacon was soft and the onions and peppers were still crunchy. After I cooked it for another hour, it was much better. I tried looking at other recipes to see how long I should cook it. But it really needed longer. This was good, but it was way too sweet. Next time I might only put a tbsp. of brown sugar in instead of 1/2 cup. Especially if I use brown sugar barbecue sauce. Otherwise, this would make a really great dish for a potluck or side dish at a barbecue.

No comments:

Post a Comment