Wednesday, June 11, 2014

June 10: Five-Bean Casserole

Our house smelled heavenly all day with this casserole cooking. I started it at about 9:30 or 10 this morning. I gathered up these ingredients:

I chopped up a couple onions, a couple cloves of garlic, and a half pound of bacon, then cooked them in a pan until the onions were soft:

While that was cooking, I put 5 kinds of canned beans in the Crock Pot: kidney (2 cans), Great Northern, chick peas, butter beans, and baked beans:

To the onions, I added 1/2 c. brown sugar, 1/2 c. cider vinegar, a tsp. dry mustard, a tsp. salt, and 1/4 tsp. pepper. I let that simmer for 15 minutes:

Then I spooned the onion mixture evenly over the beans and cooked it on low for about 8 hours:

I served it sprinkled with chopped green onions:

These beans had a deliciously sweet flavor, and they were perfectly cooked. I thought it was better than the soup from yesterday. I didn't used to like beans, but I do tolerate them now. These I can say were actually good!

No comments:

Post a Comment