Thursday, December 1, 2011

November 10: Zucchini Pizza

   Extra-virgin olive oil, for drizzling
2 pizza dough rolls from a tube, such as Pillsbury brand
   Coarse salt and coarse black pepper
2 cups ricotta cheese
8 garlic cloves, minced
4 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
2 medium to large zucchini

Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Drizzle EVOO on one large or two small cookie sheets, then roll out the dough. It's already in a rectangular shape; just pat it out a bit. Poke with the tines of a fork, season with salt and pepper, and place in the oven for 5 to 6 minutes.

In a medium bowl, mix the ricotta with the garlic. When you remove the dough, cover it evenly with the ricotta cheese. Top the ricotta with a layer of mozzarella cheese, then return it to the oven on the center rack and cook until golden, 12 to 13 minutes more.

Heat a large nonstick griddle or skillet over medium-high heat. Trim the ends off the zucchini. Cut the zucchini into thin strips lengthwise, no more than 1/4 inch thick. Trim a sliver off the skin on one side if you need to make the zucchini more stable while you slice it. Fill the dry skillet with a single layer of the zucchini strips and cook for 5 minutes, turning once. Remove to a cutting board and repeat.

When all of the zucchini is cooked, pile a few slices at a time into stacks. Cut the cooked zucchini across into thin sticks. Pile the sticks together and season with salt and pepper. Scatter the sticks across the pizzas in the last 2 to 3 minutes of cooking time.

Serve large squares of the pizza hot from the oven. Ah, Roma!

4 SERVINGS, 1/2 PIZZA EACH


RR says: "This is a pizza I discovered on a trip to Rome as I wandered the side streets with my mom. It became such a favorite of mine that, on a return trip I made in the cold late fall, I think I ate hot, half-kilo blocks of it every day for a week. This is my at-home version. I love the feeling of giant slices of this hanging from my mouth. It really brings me back to Roman Holidays." I must not have read this recipe very well. It really doesn't even look like I followed the instructions. The store was out of the pizza dough tubes, so I bought the already-baked crusts. They're so much easier, and I didn't have to do the first step of baking them. I just warmed them for a couple minutes. I didn't read the part about cutting the zucchini into slices lengthwise, so I just julienned them. I guess that worked too. The pizza is really pretty good, but I think it could do with some more veggies... like more zucchini or some tomato sauce instead of ricotta. The garlic does make the ricotta taste better, though. Not so bland.

No comments:

Post a Comment