Wednesday, November 30, 2011

November 9: Scotch and Wiild Mushroom Risotto

4 cups warm beef stock (keep over low heat on the stovetop)
2 ounces dried porcini mushrooms
2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
3 crushed garlic cloves
1 medium onion, finely chopped
1 portobello mushroom cap, finely chopped
16 shiitake mushroom caps, finely chopped
1 cup Arborio rice
   Salt and freshly ground black pepper
1/3 cup really good Scotch
1 cup grated Parmigiano-Reggiano
2 tablespoons chopped fresh thyme leaves
   A handful of fresh flat-leaf parsley, finely chopped
   Dark green salad

Steep the dried porcini mushrooms in the warm beef stock to reconstitute.

Preheat a deep, sloped skillet over medium-high heat. Add the EVOO, garlic, onions, portobello and shiitake mushrooms. Cook until the mushrooms darken, then season with salt and pepper.

Add the rice, then cook for 1 to 2 minutes more. Add the Scotch and cook away, 1 minute. Add a few ladles of the warm stock, just to cover the rice. Stir frequently and continue to ladle in stock until the rice is cooked al dente, and the risotto is very starchy, about 22 minutes total cooking time.

When all the beef stock is added, remove the tender porcini mushrooms, coarsely chop the porcini mushrooms, and stir into the risotto. Stir in the cheese, thyme, and parsley and serve.

4 SERVINGS


RR says: "John, my sweetie, loves my wild mushroom risotto, which I used to make with a little brandy in it. John loves Johnny Walker like a brother, so I make his risotto with Scotch - more than a little, too. (Sadly for him, the alcohol cooks off. However, the smoky flavor left behind is great with the earthy mushrooms. To the wise: The better the Scotch, the deeper the effect.)" This risotto was pretty tasty. I didn't have any Scotch, and I didn't want to buy a huge bottle of it, so I used the vermouth that I had in my cabinet. I guess it did the trick.

No comments:

Post a Comment