Friday, September 2, 2011

September 2: Five-Spice Burgers with Warm Mu Shu Slaw Topping, Pineapple, and Exotic Chips

1 1/2 pounds ground chicken or pork
2 teaspoons Chinese five-spice powder
1 tablespoon grill seasoning, such as McCormick's Montreal Steak Seasoning
2 garlic cloves, minced
   1-inch piece of fresh ginger, peeled and minced
5 scallions, 2 finely chopped, 3 cut into thirds then thinly sliced lengthwise
3 tablespoons tamari
2 tablespoons vegetable oil, plus more for drizzling
12 shiitake mushrooms, stems removed and thinly sliced
1/2 pound shredded cabbage
3 tablespoons hoisin sauce
4 cornmeal-dusted or sesame kaiser rolls, split and toasted
1 fresh pineapple, cored, cut into chunks
1 package exotic vegetable chips, such as Terra brand

Heat a nonstick skillet or grill pan over medium-high heat. In a medium bowl, combine the meat with the five-spice powder, grill seasoning, garlic, ginger, finely chopped scallions, tamari, and a drizzle of vegetable oil. Mix and score the meat into quarters, then form 4 patties, 1 inch thick. Cook the burgers for 6 minutes on each side.

Heat a nonstick skillet over high heat. Add the 2 tablespoons of vegetable oil. Cook the shiitakes for 2 minutes, add the cabbage, and stir-fry for 3 minutes more. Add the sliced scallions and hoisin sauce, toss to combine, and remove from the heat.

Serve the burgers on the buns piled high with mu shu slaw on top. Serve with chunks of fresh pineapple and exotic chips alongside the burgers.

4 SERVINGS


It is Friday night, but I made Rachael Ray's "Make your own take out" instead of comfort food for my husband. I did it because I'll be skipping 3 recipes - we're going camping!!! I liked the burgers ok, but I ran out of grill seasoning, so I used salt and pepper instead. I forgot how much soy sauce I had just put in, so I put in way too much salt! They would have been really good if they hadn't been so salty.

No comments:

Post a Comment