Monday, July 4, 2011

July 3: Pizza Capricciosa

2 tablespoons all-purpose flour or cornmeal, to work with the dough
1 pizza dough, bought from your market or favorite pizzeria
   Extra-virgin olive oil, for drizzling
   Coarse salt
1/2 cup tomato sauce
10 fresh basil leaves, torn or shredded
1/2 to 3/4 pound fresh mozzarella, very thinly sliced
6 cremini or white mushrooms, thinly sliced
1 14-ounce can quartered artichoke hearts, drained and chopped
1/4 pound prosciutto di Parma, cut crosswise into 2-inch slices
1/2 cup frozen green peas
2 hard-boiled eggs, chopped

Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F.

Dust the dough with the flour or cornmeal and stretch out to a 12- to 13- inch pizza. Place the dough on a pizza tray and pierce it with the tines of a fork. Drizzle with EVOO, season with a little salt, and bake for 10 minutes.

Remove the crust from the oven and top with the tomato sauce, basil, a thin layer of the mozzarella, the mushrooms, and artichokes. Bake for another 10 minutes, or until the cheese bubbles and the crust is crisp. In the last 5 minutes of baking time, add the prosciutto, peas, and eggs and another drizzle of EVOO.

4 SERVINGS


I made this meal after church at my mom's house for my mom, my brother, his wife, and the 3 girls. My mom liked it, my brother and I thought it was weird but not bad, and I don't really know what my sister-in-law thought about it. The kids liked it ok, too. We added some corn, pineapple, and chips, so we all had enough to eat. We ate the pizza all up. Here are the pictures:


No comments:

Post a Comment