Monday, July 4, 2011

July 2: Venetian Calamari with Spicy Sauce and Egg Fettuccine

1 pound calamari, cut into thin rings
2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
4 garlic cloves, chopped
1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
1/2 cup dry white wine
1 14-ounce can chunky-style crushed tomatoes
1 teaspoon curry powder
   Pinch of ground cinnamon
   Salt and freshly ground black pepper
   A handful of chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
3/4 pound egg fettuccine, cooked al dente
10 fresh basil leaves, shredded or torn

Pat the calamari dry. Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the EVOO and calamari and cook for 3 minutes, turning frequently. Add the garlic and red pepper flakes and cook for 2 minutes more. Add the wine and cook off, 30 seconds. Add the tomatoes, curry, cinnamon, salt, pepper, and parsley. Toss the pasta with the calamari and sauce and turn out onto a large platter. Cover with the basil and serve.

4 SERVINGS

Today was my travel day, so I decided to skip this recipe. Instead, we went out to eat at the Nutcracker restaurant with my brother and his family. I made this meal last year, and it has one of those flavors that you'd have to get used to. Tomato sauce with curry and cinnamon is a little weird for me. I didn't like the calamari either because the texture is a lot like rubber. My mom, for whom I would have made this, (my dad is in Ecuador) does not like calamari either, so this was a good one to skip. Sorry for the lack of pictures.

No comments:

Post a Comment