Sunday, January 30, 2011

January 29: Pasta with Spinach, Mushrooms, Pumpkin, and Hazelnuts

2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
1/4 pound shiitake mushroom caps
2 portobello mushroom caps, halved and thinly sliced
3 garlic cloves, chopped
1 medium yellow onion, chopped
   Salt and freshly ground  black pepper
2 10-ounce boxes frozen chopped spinach, defrosted
1/2 cup dry white wine
1 cup chicken stock or broth
1 14-ounce can pumpkin puree
1/2 cup cream
2 to 3 teapoons dried crushed sage leaves
1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
   A pinch of ground cinnamon
1 pound penne or cellantani pasta
   Grated Parmesan Cheese
1/4 cup finely chopped fresh chives
1 cup chopped toasted hazelnuts

Bring a large pot of water to a boil.

Wring out the spinach in a kitchen towel until dry.

Heat a deep skillet over medium-high heat. Add the EVOO and the mushrooms, garlic, and onions.

Cook until the mushrooms brown, then season with salt and pepper. Add the spinach, separating it with your fingertips as you add it to the pan.


Combine and heat the mixture for 2 minutes, then add the wine and deglaze the pan. Add the chicken stock and heat for 1 minute.


Stir in the pumpkin and incorporate; it'll be thick.


Stir in the cream, sage, nutmeg, and cinnamon and adjust the salt and pepper. Reduce the heat to low.

Add salt and the pasta to the boiling water and cook until al dente.


Drain the pasta and add it to the pumpkin mixture. Top with the cheese, chives, and the toasted hazelnuts.

6 SERVINGS

I cooked this today for lunch because we've been invited to someone's house for dinner. It's basically a vegetarian version of the Master recipe. Spinach is swapped for sausage, and hazelnuts are added for protein. I did halve the recipe again, and I made the same changes to this one as I did to the last one. It's pretty good, but if I had to choose, I'd choose the one with the sausage in it. I guess it's an either/or recipe.

PS I made this recipe on Saturday and typed it up, but the pictures wouldn't load, so I waited until Sunday to publish it, so I could upload my pictures.

No comments:

Post a Comment