Wednesday, January 19, 2011

January 19: Rosemary Corn Cakes with Prosciutto and Chicken Sausages with Hot and Sweet Peppers

4 chicken sausages, any flavor or brand, such as sun-dried tomato or garlic
2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
3 tablespoons unsalted butter
1 8 1/2-ounce box Jiffy corn muffin mix
1 egg
3/4 cup milk
2 to 3 teaspoons dried rosemary
4 slices prosciutto, chopped
   Coarse black pepper
2 large cubanelle peppers (long, light green Italian sweet peppers), seeded and thinly sliced
   Coarse salt
4 hot red cherry peppers from a jar, chopped (reserve the juice)
1/2 cup honey
Heat a griddle or nonstick skillet over medium heat.

Prick the sausages with a fork and place in a large skillet, then add 1 inch of water to the pan. Add the EVOO to the pan and bring the water to a boil, then reduce the heat to medium. Let the sausages cook until the liquid evaporates, about 10 minutes.


Meanwhile, melt 2 tablespoons of the butter in the microwave in a medium bowl. Add the muffin mix to the melted butter, then add the egg, milk, rosemary, prosciutto, and a few grinds of black pepper.


Rub the griddle with the remaining 1 tablespoon butter nested in a paper towel to lightly coat the cooking surface. Form 4 small cakes, 2 to 3 inches in diameter, and cook until golden on each side, then repeat with the remaining mixture.

Check the sausages. When the liquid has evaporated, move the sausages off to one side of the pan to allow the casings to crisp and brown. Add the cubanelle peppers to the other side of the pan and let them cook until just tender.

Season with salt and pepper, then add the hot peppers and toss. Douse the pan with a splash of pepper juice just before you serve the peppers.


Serve the sausages with the peppers on top and the cakes alongside. Drizzle the cakes with the honey.

4 SERVINGS


Did you notice in my picture of the ingredients I put chicken stock instead of milk? No, I didn't use that instead of milk. It's just become a habit to put it out for dinners I guess.

This recipe is good for "B-L-D: breakfast, lunch or dinner." I used sweet apple chicken sausages and they were really sweet and yummy. The recipe originally calls for 8: 2 per person, but they're so expensive and that's so much meat, I just changed it to 4. The recipe also says to melt the butter on high for 15 seconds. I guess my microwave isn't strong enough, but that didn't melt my butter. It does need to be completely melted though. If you have a microwave like my parents', then that's probably too much time ;op (<--- emoticon to my parents).

I changed the fresh rosemary to dried; I just didn't think it's worth it to shell out so much money for fresh herbs when dried are just fine.

I don't know if cubanelle peppers are the same as Anaheim, but that's what I got because those were the ones in the store that fit her description.

I always look forward to this recipe because it's so delicious: like having a really good breakfast for dinner. People always like to have breakfast food for dinner because they always end up having something like cereal or toast for breakfast.

3 comments: