Monday, October 3, 2011

October 1: Lamb "Stew" (Wink, Wink)

2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
1 large yellow onion, chopped
6 medium red bliss potatoes, cut in half and then sliced
1 teaspoon dried thyme
3 garlic cloves, chopped
1 bay leaf, fresh or dried
   Salt and freshly ground black pepper
2 large carrots, peeled and thinly sliced
2 celery ribs, chopped into 1-inch pieces
2 rounded tablespoons tomato paste
2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1/2 cup dry red wine
2 1/2 cups of chicken stock
12 rib lamb chops
1/4 cup fresh flat-leaf parsley leaves, chopped

Preheat the broiler.

To make the "stew," preheat a large skillet over medium-high heat with the EVOO; add the onions, potatoes, thyme, garlic, bay leaf, salt, and pepper.

Cook until the onions start to brown, about 6 to 7 minutes. Add the carrots, celery and tomato paste and continue to cook for 1 more minute, and then whisk in the red wine. Cook for 1 minute, then add the chicken stock and bring the mixture up to a bubble. Turn the heat down to medium low and simmer for 15 minutes.

While the "stew" is simmering, start the lamb chops. Arrange the chops on a broiler pan and season both sides with salt and pepper. Broil the chops for 3 to 4 minutes on each side for medium rare, up to 5 minutes on each side for medium well.

To serve, add the parsley to the "stew," remove and discard the bay leaf, taste, and adjust the seasoning with salt and pepper. Divide the stew among 4 shallow serving bowls and arrange 3 chops atop each portion.

4 SERVINGS


I think this meal could have been good. She says to cook the stew for 10 minutes, but my vegetables were still crunchy. :( So I changed the directions to cook it for 15 minutes. Maybe that would be long enough. I also changed the fresh thyme to dried. The lamb was good, but I couldn't find any rib chops. I had to use loin chops, so I cooked them for 10 minutes on each side. I would rather have had just chunks of lamb cooked into the stew, and I think my husband would have too. I really liked the sauce; that was the best part of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment