Saturday, August 27, 2011

August 26: Sauteed Salmon with Spicy Fresh Mango-Pinepple Chutney

3 tablespoons vegetable oil
1 small red onion, chopped
1 large jalepeno, seeded and chopped
   Salt and freshly ground black pepper
1 8-ounce can pineapple chunks in natural juices, drained
2 tablespoons honey
4 6-ounce salmon fillets
1 tablespoon ground coriander
1 ripe mango, peeled and diced
   Juice of 1 lime
1/4 cup fresh flat-leaf parsley leaves, chopped
1/4 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
   Steamed asparagus, snap peas, or green beans

Heat a sauce pot over medium-high heat with 1 tablespoon of vegetable oil. Add the red onions and jalapenos and season with a little salt and pepper; cook for 3 to 4 minutes, or until the onions are slightly wilted.


Add the pineapple, honey, and 1 cup water, turn the heat down to medium low, and gently simmer for about 5 minutes.


While the chutney is cooking, preheat a medium nonstick skillet over medium-high heat with the remaining 2 tablespoons of vegetable oil. Season the salmon with the coriander, salt, and pepper. Add the seasoned salmon to the hot pan and cook until just cooked through, about 3 to 4 minutes on each side.

While the salmon is cooking, finish the chutney: Add the mango, lime juice, parsley, and cilantro, stir to combine, and then turn off the heat.

Transfer the sauteed salmon to 4 serving plates and top each portion with some of the spicy mango-pineapple chutney. Serve with the asparagus, snap peas, or green beans.

4 SERVINGS


This meal was very quick and easy to make. It probably only took me about 20 minutes, start to finish. I was afraid, because I knew my husband wouldn't eat the chutney, and I put a whole jalapeno in it, that it would be ruined. But really, the whole meal turned out very good. The chutney was not spicy at all - I suggest that if you want it to be spicy, put the seeds in with the pepper. I didn't use a mango because I'm allergic to them :( I used a peach instead. It was good, but I bet a mango would have made it a lot better. The only thing I changed was to add the vegetable to the ingredient list.

No comments:

Post a Comment