Sunday, June 26, 2011

June 24: Indian Tofu and Spinach over Almond Rice

2 cups basmati rice
3 tablespoons vegetable oil
1 14-ounce container firm tofu, patted dry and cut into 1 1/2-inch dice
   Salt and freshly ground black pepper
4 garlic cloves, chopped
3-inch piece of fresh ginger, peeled and grated
1 large yellow onion, chopped
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1 tablespoon ground coriander
2 10-ounce boxes frozen chopped spinach, defrosted, squeezed dry of excess liquid in a kitchen towel
2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
2 cups vegetable stock or broth
2 tablespoons curry paste, mild or hot
1/4 cup prepared mango chutney
1 15-ounce can chick peas
1 cup sliced almonds

Prepare the rice according to the package directions.

Preheat a large, deep nonstick skillet over medium-high heat with the vegetable oil. Add the tofu, season with salt and pepper, and lightly brown, 2 to 3 minutes per side. Remove the tofu from the skillet and reserve on a plate. To the same skillet, add the garlic, ginger, onions, cumin, and coriander. Saute together for 4 to 5 minutes, or until the onions are tender. Add the spinach and continue to cook for 2 minutes. Add the flour and cook for 1 minute. Add the vegetable stock and bring to a bubble. Add the curry paste, mango chutney, and chick peas, then return the browned tofu to the skillet, reduce the heat to medium low, and simmer the curry for 8 to 10 minutes.

While the curry is simmering, toast the almonds in a small dry skillet over medium heat until golden. Once the rice is cooked, fluff it with a fork, add the toasted almonds, and stir with the fork.

Serve the curry in shallow bowls with scoops of almond rice on top. (Rice on the bottom gets too mushy.)

4 SERVINGS

I'm very sorry I don't have pictures of this recipe. I took a few days off from my cooking, and so I decided to skip 2 or 3 recipes. This one got cut because I have made it before, marked that It was not a keeper, and wrote down at the bottom, "it's ok." I'm not a huge tofu fan, and neither is RR. She writes: I really do not get tofu, but some of my friends do. This is for them." I will eat it, but I would always rather have meat :). Oh, and she says rice on the bottom gets "mushy," but I would never, ever say that. I LOVE it when the juices soak into the rice and make it nice and moist!

No comments:

Post a Comment